Drama is one of the more effective and significant models of learning for children. Children learn many innovative skills through drama and learn to deal with their individual and social problems. Drama method of education teaches children to explore different situations and children get great knowledge and experience from it.
In education, Drama is a successful method for children and teachers both. Children learn many real-life situations through drama and it can be termed as an outlet for self-expression. Drama is the only learning method that involves a child in four different ways; physically, intellectually, emotionally, and socially.
Educational Objectives of Using Drama
- To develop creative and imaginative skills in children so that they can become creative in their future as well.
- To develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills in them so that they may solve their problems themselves.
- To make them explore and evaluate different ideas.
- To make them find positive ways to deal with different conflicts.
- To enhance their communication skills. Communication is needed in every phase of life.
- To improve their literacy skills and make them strong, bold, and steadfast.
In a classroom, drama can be used for the following reasons:
- Observance of new skills.
- Introduction to concepts.
- Experiential learning activities.
- Reenactment of real events.
- Dramatization of a famous story or scene.
- Portrayal famous people or to create literary sketches.
Along with these, the drama has many different other classroom applications. A teacher can dramatize important ideas and events in a classroom and can engage children in a quite productive way of learning. By playing different roles and experiencing different settings and environments, children learn to deal with different people across the world.